Now accepting applications for Spring 2021!
Application form: download UTA Application here
- returning UTAs - please don't use old versions of the form. The first cell has a version number/semester written in it to help you figure out if you need to transfer information over or not.
- see detailed instructions below.
Undergraduate teaching assistants assist other students in classes they've already taken.
We need UTAs for several very different classes, and so we are interested in candidates with any one or more of the following skills: strong English writing; strong presentation capability; strong coding skills; expertise in Python, Java, or C; expertise in hardware architectures, digital logic, or systems coding. UTAs do not need to be CS majors.
The UTA position is an hourly wages job that is meant to work with and around your school schedule. You may be able to work as few as a couple of hours per week or as many as 15, depending upon your experience and what is needed for the class(es) you assist with. Some duties can be done at home, and so the hours are often highly flexible.
UTAs are hired (or rehired) each semester. Typically, there are more new hires in the Fall than in the Spring. Successful UTAs are given slight preference over new candidates.
The Computer Science Department invites students of our courses to apply to be Undergraduate Teaching Assistants. Successful applicants will have these specific characteristics:
- have earned good grades in the courses they want to assist (generally, A grades earned at GMU for those courses)
- have a good GPA (3.0 or higher both overall and in CS courses)
- have good communication skills and can act professionally/reliably
- are motivated to assist others and help them learn
First-time applicants need a recommendation by a CS faculty member (get their permission first!).
In order to apply:
- First-time applicants only - find a CS faculty member who is willing to separately send a letter of recommendation on your behalf. They should email their recomendation to email@example.com.
- Fill out the uta_application.xlsx form here, and rename it "Lastname_Firstname_application.xlsx"
- Include an unofficial transcript (as a pdf) that includes all of your grades on it (wait until the previous semester's grades have posted), naming the file "Lastname_Firstname_transcript.pdf"
- email both documents to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "UTA Application: Lastname_Firstname"
Applications by the deadlines are considered "on time" and will receive equal priority; later applications are absolutely encouraged but will have less priority the later they are submitted.
- due August 1st: Fall semester applications
- due January 1st: Spring semester applications
- due June 1st: Summer semester applications. A-session course applicants will be considered on May 20th - consider applying immediately after Spring exams! (note: summer appointments are far less common.)
We look forward to hearing from you!
Please note that you must have completed one semester at GMU to be considered for an undergraduate teaching assistantship.