The objectives of the BS ACS concentration in Computer Game Design are to provide students with the following:
- Fundamental knowledge regarding theory, methods and applications of Computer Science.
- A foundation in artistic creativity subjects associated with digital entertainment.
- Knowledge of concepts that integrate Computer Science and artistic creativity to develop computer games and tools for computer graphics and animation.
- Preparation for employment as a programmer in the entertainment industry.
- Preparation for graduate studies in fields such as computer science and digital entertainment.
Computer game development is a global multi-billion dollar industry with popular titles generating millions of dollars in revenue, sometimes in their first few weeks of release. Creating such titles require teams of highly skilled individuals covering such disciplines as computer science, art, animation, music, and storytelling. This program is aimed at those individuals wishing to pursue a career as a developer in the computer games industry or a technical director in the computer animation industry. As part of a highly skilled team, programmers should have an appreciation of all the disciplines in the development process. Therefore, this program of study provides students with not only a sound background in Computer Science but also an opportunity to undertake courses in the College of Visual and Performing Arts. In addition, a number of Computer Science courses have been specially designed for this program to allow students to become proficient in the computer game development process (by actually creating games during their program of study). Many industries prize skills associated with computer game programming. Any industry that requires efficient programmers that are experts in developing graphical simulations with real-time requirements will benefit from this degree. Such industries include military, aerospace, architecture, geology, and emergency response.
For More Information