Doctoral students in Computer Science are selected on the basis of scholarship and research potential from among applicants with appropriate degrees. The minimum requirements for admissions are as follows:
- A four-year baccalaureate degree. The difficulty of the baccalaureate degree and the applicant's work experience are considered while evaluating the application.
- The applicant's prior academic work must include a strong academic background in Computer Science at the graduate or undergraduate level.
- GRE Not Required for Fall 2021.
- Two letters of recommendation. Letters that offer direct knowledge of your academic achievements and research skills or potential are most useful.
- A statement of career goals and aspirations
- TOEFL or IELTS is required of all applicants whose native language is not English, and who have not received a degree from a university in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, or New Zealand.
Admission to the PhD program is competitive and satisfying the minimum requirements listed above does not guarantee admission.
Applying to the Program
To apply, go to the GMU Graduate Admissions web site. Please do not submit a hardcopy to the Computer Science Department. Applicants who request financial assistance are encouraged to apply for Fall admission.
Important Deadlines (for Fall admission)
- International applicants - December 1
- Applicants who request financial assistance - December 1
- All other applicants - March 15
Late applications are placed on a waiting list and are considered if space is available, only after all on-time applications have been evaluated. Foreign students are urged to submit applications early, because their processing takes longer than for US applicants.
Applicants who meet the December 1 deadline will be notified of their admission status approximately in mid-March (for Fall admission).
Admission can rarely be deferred. Applicants must indicate the semester in which they wish to begin the program. If an applicant does not enroll in the semester admitted, and does not contact the Graduate Admissions office before the start of the semester, the offer of admission is voided. If an applicant decides to enter the program at a later time, a new application must be submitted.
More Questions? See the PhD Admissions FAQ for answers to frequently answered questions.