Welcome to CS Advising!
Our mission is to:
- Provide the most relevant and complete information possible to prospective and current students
- Foster a departmental atmosphere where all students feel welcome, heard, and responded to
- Continually review and update the services we provide, ensuring that students receive an excellent educational experience
Meeting with a Staff Student Advisor
CS staff in the department office, Room 4300 of the Engineering Building, are qualified to answer many student questions on both policy and procedure.
In particular, the department's staff includes two graduate student advisors:
- Ryan Lucas, Graduate Student Advisor
Feel free to come by the CS department office on a walk-in basis during regular dept. office hours (8:30 - 5:00) to see if your question can be answered by the staff.
CS Main Office: Room 4300, Nguyen Engineering Building. Check in at the front desk for all appointments.
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Call us: 703-993-1530
Each student is assigned a faculty advisor to confer with on matters related to degree requirements.
Your advisor can:
- Help you decide which courses to take
- Evaluate what courses you need for graduation,
- Answer general questions pertaining to your academics and coursework
You can contact the staff student advisors listed above to find out who your faculty advisor is.
If you have an academic question that the staff cannot answer, ask your faculty advisor. All faculty members maintain office hours for their advisees, and/or class students. These hours are posted on the CS "Student Information" bulletin board outside Room 4300 Engineering Bldg or online at Faculty Office Hours.
The program directors for the MS programs offered by the CS department are listed below. Some issues such as a waiver of degree requirements or approval of elective courses (not on the pre-approved list for a program) can only be approved by the program director of the MS program.